Monday, January 7, 2008

Up & running......

I feel like this is monumental, like I should yell, "First!" But this is my blog, no one else knows I'm here (yet), so of course I'm first. I'll probably be second ("Second!"), too. This actually is monumental, this has been on my mind for a long time, a place where I can put ideas down on 'paper' and work on them 'out loud.' Sometimes I come up with things, sometimes God tells me things, and I think about how great that is and what a wonderful metaphor that is, and then I forget about it. In disobedience, it's gone. Some of that will end up here along with what I'm learning as I trudge along. Thanks for joining me!

I am reading 'The Great Omission,' by Dallas Willard. In a smaller section titled, 'The Disciplines of Christ-likeness,' Willard states,


"...we "put on" the new person by regular activities that are in our power, and we become what we could not be by direct effort. If we take note of and follow Jesus in what he did when he was not ministering or teaching, we will find ourselves led and enabled to do what he did when he was "on the spot."
The single most obvious trait of those who profess Christ but do not grow into Christ-likeness is their refusal to take the reasonable and time-tested measures for spiritual growth........ When we accept moment-to-moment events and tribulations as the place where we receive God's provision, we patiently anticipate the action of His Spirit in our lives. In hope, we do our best to find and implement the ways in which our inner self can take on the character of the children of the Highest. This is the path of radical change..." (pp. 30-31).


Wow. I know I want the good stuff without the work. I want to hear God loud & clear, but can't find time to sit at His feet. I want to do what Jesus did, but not work for it. I want to 'be spiritual' while I watch TV or attend to other equally important things. If I attend one more church function, maybe that'll do it, what Willard calls 'Christian Consumerism.' I don't need that either. I just need God. Jesus only did what He saw the Father doing (John 5:19), I want to only do what I see Jesus do! God help me.

So, that's where I'm starting. I decided to follow Jesus 17 years ago, and here I am, starting again. Thank you God for taking me back, over & over. Now I'm going to bed, so I can get up and do what Jesus did! (Mark 1:35)

1 comment:

Mark J. LaCore said...

I've start to think that "starting again" is a perpetual reality, the place God wants us always to be. Not sure I understand that - I and I certainly don't think I like it most of the time - but I wonder if he doesn't desire us fresh each day, and keep us humble in that way.

You will have to read "Spirit of The Disciplines" when you finish this Willard book. I have it if you want to borrow it.

I'm really excited that you're doing this, Kathy! I look forward to reading your stuff, and I will put a link over here on my web site when I get to that point in my reconstruction.